Washington State is the US epicenter for the Covid-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. Along with the rest of Western Washington Island County has formerly declared a State of Emergency. However as of March 7th there are no confirmed cases in Island County but King County (to the south) and Snohomish County (to the east) are experiencing increasing numbers of cases. Washington remains under a general State of Emergency and recommends those over 60 years of age avoid gatherings.
As of this posting there are no plans to cancel the May sesshin. We are constantly monitoring and assessing the situation as it develops. There will be updates here and through the mailing list if anything changes.
How does this affect us at Tahoma?
At this time we will continue with our regularly morning chant and meditation service as well as our regular evening meditation. These remain open to the public but please observe the following guidelines if you wish to attend.
- DO NOT come if you are feeling sick.
- If you start to feel sick, depart at a stretch break or during kinhin (walking meditation).
- Thoroughly wash your hands before attending. We recommend that upon entering the zendo you proceed to the bathroom and wash your hands.
- You should wash your hands for the length of time it takes to chant (to yourself!) the Enmei Jukku Kannon Gyo three (3) times.
- Wash your hands THEN use the hand sanitizer that has been placed in both bathrooms and in the gaitan.
- Do use the hand sanitizer whenever you feel you need to.
- Cover your mouth/nose with your elbow or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Do not shake hands or hug. We should all be comfortable with a gassho (bow).
- Feel free to sit more widely separated. We have a lot of space, no reason not to use it.
- We are still holding Zazenkai (community sitting) as usual at 8am on Sunday mornings.
- We will NOT be having tea afterwards. We will resume tea after the crisis has passed.
- Otherwise follow the guidance as above.
Upcoming events (the March All Day Sit, Buddha’s Birthday, etc.) are currently continuing as planned, but we will asses or modify these events as conditions evolve.. We will post updates here on the website if anything changes with regard to these events.